PitaPata Dog tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, May 16, 2011

Adios vs. Chao

In Spanish there are several ways to say goodbye. Most people know the term "adios." However, in Ecuador where I learned Spanish, adios is a permanent goodbye. You'd only say that word if you knew for certain that you'd never see someone again. Thus, I cringe anytime I hear the term.

Instead, I prefer the term "chao." This word is a much more informal goodbye. I love the friendliness of this term that is more akin to "see you later." Chao is a goodbye that I can handle.

Saturday afternoon, I took Kyle at the puppy truck. This morning Kyle should be arriving at the Guide Dogs for the Blind campus in Boring, Oregon. Although Kyle is no longer in my home, there is no way I'd ever say adios to my boy. I couldn't do that. Our paths in life have diverged, but we both have big adventures ahead of us in the next few months.

With tears in my eyes but a smile on my face, I say chao to Kyle. He's ready for all the excitement formal training has to offer him.

In the mean time, here are a few final shots of my big boy.

(Kyle in the car on the way to the puppy truck. I love his clear brown eyes!)

(This is the final shot of the four of us together for now. I'm hoping we'll get another one at graduation. My fingers are crossed.)

 (Kyle spent a good portion of the day in my lap, but we needed one more cuddle before goodbye.)

 (Kyle with his little brother Rio. This is a great shot to capture the contrast in their personalities. Kyle: "I'm not taking a picture. They bother me." Rio: "Aren't I cute!")

(The drivers asked me to put Kyle on the truck, and I lost it. I love this boy!)

(One final shot of Kyle in his kennel on the puppy truck. Kyle, I hope your journey went smoothly and you are enjoying new adventures in Oregon.)

Good luck Kyle. You are going to do wonderful things in life. ¡Chao!

4 comments:

  1. Good Lucky Kyle at college! :) You will get to have lots of fun hanging out with Joanne from our club who went back this weekend and Valentino who is already back there. Can't wait to see you progress through the phases (quickly) :) and graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's gonna do so great! We'll all be rooting for Kendrick's bother as he shoots through the phases. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww, what lovely photos. Good luck Kyle and I love the subtle yet important difference of Chao vs Adios! Chao little man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So touching...I am tearing up after reading this. Your hard work, dedication, and above all else LOVE for Kyle will not go unnoticed by the lucky person going home with him. Thank You for what you do!

    ReplyDelete